Progress!

So - now that I've finally started working on this thing I'm making progress. In truth I'm basically just past a point I got to once before (I can connect to Spotify and read the data).

The difference is that this time:

  • I have authentication and user accounts setup correctly
  • I'm storing the access token correctly
  • I save the data I fetch to the databse and display it
  • The UI is a bit more built out.

It's taken a while to get the foundations done right simply because it's been about 8 years since I did any Rails development and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'd forgotten how even basic things like routes work. Slowly (and with a lot of time spent searching Stackoverflow) things are starting to make sense again.

Within the next few days I should have a super-minimum viable product. At that point I'm just going to get it ready to launch. It will be pretty bare bones but once I get it out and get some feedback I can iterate. I've already figured out a way to add additional data points (and therefore enable smarter playlists) but I can keep working on it in private forever or I can ship and iterate. I'm gonna do the latter. That's the point of this project.

Show Comments